sábado, 8 de febrero de 2014

What Do Chickens Follow?

Chickens follow spit.

At least, that's why my grandma tells me.  That's what her mother told her.  And if Grammy says it, well, it must be true.  Apparently, according to my grandmother, my great-grandmother once caught a chicken by going outside and spitting methodically closer and closer to her house.  She spit a trail right into the hall, then the living room, then the bathroom, then BAM!  She slammed the door!  Dinner's here, kids!

I have tested this theory by spitting out my bedroom window after brushing my teeth in the morning, and, dude!  It's true!  The chickens totally come running across the yard to check out my spit!  They must not like mint flavor, though, because they always seem disappointed when they get there.

Note to self:  Buy corn-flavored toothpaste.

Anyhow.  This occurred to me today as I was walking down a sidewalk in Batumi.  There I was, minding my own business, when my easy stroll became the site of a struggle for the ages.   

Squak!

Above my head was a chicken hanging by one leg from a second story apartment balcony.  Two Georgian ladies were trying to conceal their peals of laughter as one lady was on her hands and knees holding on to the last leg of a chicken who clearly did not want to be named Lunch.

Unfortunately for Lunch, it was not her lucky day.  I don't know her fate after she was retrieved from her epic jump, but I like to think that perhaps she is an excellent egg layer and she will be spared another day to hatch an even better plot to escape.  Pun intended.

Really, though, I think somebody must have spit on the sidewalk below.

Lunch wanted lunch!

No hay comentarios: