martes, 1 de marzo de 2016

Exactly One Year and 11 Months Later

Well, it's been a really long time. Almost two years ago, I sat down to use this blog to untangle my complex emotions about the death of a wonderful Georgian teacher. My blog posts in Georgia came when the mood struck me--and only then. Not like it was any different before, honestly. Even after deleting my Facebook profile in a fit of emotional despair a year into my service, I didn't really consider posting more frequently to make up the difference. Sorry, mom! Sometimes this blog seems integral to my life and ability to process who I am, and, sometimes, despite all kinds of very empty personal promises and threats I make with my inner writing psyche, I just forget about it completely for years.

April 21, 2008 was my first post ever here, which means this goofy, erratic little blog is coming up on its 8 year birthday. I should do something to commemorate the day like bake a cake, then plan to bake a cake every week for the rest of my life, then completely forget about that promise until a completely random date far, far in the future.

Two years ago, I was walking with a strange sense of the inevitable out of my life in Georgia. March 1st would have been the beginning of the end of the winter, only four months before I ate my last true khatchapuri and hugged my Georgian family goodbye. March 1st was beginning of the end of my service in the Peace Corps, which has had a more lasting impact on my personality, opinions, friendships, and day-to-day minutia habits than I could have ever imagined. As I've stated in this blog before, I expected only adventure. What I got instead has redefined my understanding of the depth of human experience.

Now, two years later, The Mountain Man in my life has possibly succeeded in pestering me to document our wild, windblown experiences as we weekend wander our way anywhere we can manage to drive from OC Basecamp. Let the potentially, but not statistically likely, consistent posts commence!

No hay comentarios: